AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dinner time 1950
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 3/20/2024 14:21 (#10672853 - in reply to #10672440)
Subject: Carb amounts

Pittsburg, Kansas
In my opinion many people would do great on 100-120 grams of carbs a day. That is compared to around 300-350 grams carbs following current food guidelines.

Either is a far cry above the under 20 grams I try to achieve to control my 35 year old diabetes at nearly an age of 70.

I splurged last night. Went out to a restaurant with friends. Had a regular beer followed by ribeye steak dinner. No good low carb sides so chose sweet potato fries. A few low carb veggies came with the steak. My normal blood sugar post prandial (after meals) is normally around 140 when I eat right. Almost never above 150. It was 159 with the addition of the starchy potatoes. Back at the Inn had a couple small squares of 85% chocolate and a few macadamia nuts and pecans. Guessed all in all had about an 80-100 or so total grams carbs that day. Checked sugar again after the desert and 170. Too high in my opinion for sure, but I only do something like that two or three times a year.

Most conventional trained doctors or nutritionist would say the above was impossible. They would say diabetes is a progressive degenerative disease. It doesn't get better. Yet I went from blood sugar spikes well above 200 while taking multiple diabetes drugs and 4 shots of insulin a day to the above taking ZERO drugs and ZERO insulin.........by dietary change alone. I reversed the irreversible. Not supposed to be able to be done according to modern medicine. I am in no way the first. Thousands of others have done the same. By ignoring their expert doctors on nutritional information and learning on their own about proper diet.

I have a good friend that is now a retired nurse. He has some sort of side gig where he teaches a class. In this class students were learning about carbohydrates. He had them list daily what they ate all day long and look up the values. Most of the kids were eating 350-450 grams carbs a day. Lunch alone was about 120. No wonder we have obesity.

Look up Dr David Unwin's teaspoons full of sugar infographics.

https://phcuk.org/sugar/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QdXzataYKOA&pp=ygVYWW91IE1heSBOZXZlciB...

Edit: the comments below the videos can be entertaining to enlightening sometimes.
Edit again: got the story wrong. Was quoting what wife was telling me from a text and filled in with wrong story. His side gig is as a camp nurse for a camp for disadvantaged children with disabilities. He figured up the carbs the kids were being fed at this camp! Presumably a "healthy" diet.

Edited by John Burns 3/20/2024 14:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)