AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Maybe there's something to deep ripping periodically??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

dave swia
Posted 8/23/2006 19:14 (#38227 - in reply to #38135)
Subject: depends on how much rain you get next year

sw corner Ia
I used to rip every year on cornstalks, finally quit that four years ago when it stapped raining on a regular basis. Was so dry beans never sprouted in many places where the powder was about 16" deep. Conversely, with good rainfall, this is the only good way I found to dry the ground out enough in the spring to get it planted, at least in the old days!

I found I can run a landoll 2220 disc ripper with the ripper in about 14" with the disc gangs set as straight and shallow as I can to only smooth stuff out, and can still notill in it next spring. This leaves almost all of the stalks standing and practically undamaged. Once again, if it is still real dry don't bother. Wet harvest, I guess you do it all after you pack it down real bad in the mud. We have pretty light soil and it can get real tight after heavily loaded machinery dances around for a while in the harvest over wet conditions. This compacted condition will not go away even though most notillers around here wish it were so. It would be cool if you could do nothing and everything would be perfect, but not so.

Every year is different, and conditions never stay the same.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)