AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn on corn.... hows it working for you?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Coach
Posted 9/6/2006 22:59 (#41966 - in reply to #41909)
Subject: SC Illinois Corn on Corn

SCIL
We have been planting continuous corn for the past seven years. We use aggressive knife rolls on our combine and try to tear up as much of the stalk as possible. We have had to pull a DMI crumbler on the stalks to smash them down before we apply our DAP/potash. We use a DMI disc ripper in the fall. We do leave some residue out in the field. In the spring we run the field cultivator once and then plant. Our planter is equipped with liquid fertilizer and we apply 10 gallons of 28% 2x2 by the row. Corn on corn needs extra nitrogen to get it going and by placing it by the row it is not all tied up trying to decompose the remaining residue. I would highly recommend a good set of row cleaners on your planter to clear any remaining residue out of the way. I have seen emergence problems where I did not have the row cleaners set aggressively enough to remove the residue out of the planter row. We are only going to plant rootworm corn next year because our dry insecticide is not holding back the rootworms here in South Central Illinois. We do side dress all of our corn with AA whenever we can see the row. I believe our yields are comparable to everyone but they are never good enough for the coffee shop.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)