AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is keto
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

John Burns
Posted 1/31/2024 05:40 (#10601608 - in reply to #10601487)
Subject: 20 grams carbs per day

Pittsburg, Kansas
20 grams per day.

I have been diabetic type II for 30+ years. Wife and I went low carb to lose weight. What happened was by eating healthier we got more healthy. Part of becoming healthier got me off insulin shots (90-100 units a day total) 4 times a day within two weeks and off all diabetic and blood pressure medicines within a couple months. Then we lost weight.

So you see I completely control my diabetes with diet. So I require a diet very restrictive on carbohydrates. Otherwise I would soon be right back to where I started.

Not everyone requires that level. I do. For my wife and I it is just our lifestyle. We no longer miss the carbs. And our health and weight is measurably better for it.

Edit: one other thing. We don't actually keep track of the carbs. We did for a couple months. Now we just know the high carb foods and totally eliminate them. The medium carb foods we severely limit them (like 85% chocolate in some low carb deserts) and things like fatty meat we eat all we want to satiety. Many days we will be under 10 grams carbs and a few days zero carbs. If not for our daily low carb desert many days would be 0 carb. We are almost carnivore.

What vegetable carbs we eat are more like a garnish rather than a side dish. For example olives, dill pickles are our main vegetables. My wife also loves onions so cooks with them a lot. We eat relatively small volumes but are at about every meal. I also will occasionally eat a small helping of sauerkraut because it is a good source of vitamin K2. Once in a while radishes. That is about the extent of our vegetables. Once in a while maybe some green peppers chopped fine to top a pan pizza (no bread).

So it is pretty easy for us to keep our carbs very low.

Edited by John Burns 1/31/2024 05:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)