AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle Operation in Row Crop Country - Ideas
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ntorreyyy
Posted 2/13/2024 20:37 (#10622415)
Subject: Cattle Operation in Row Crop Country - Ideas

I saw an old agtalk post where everyone was throwing out ideas for cattle operations that worked based on specific feed resources and location. I wanted to try it myself and see if I can get some advice!

I am in the heart of row crop country in Michigan. I currently have an open shed with concrete feedlot & bunks out front, an old style dairy barn with hay mow above, and then a 1 acre pasture that could be converted to another feedlot, no shelter.

I am currently doing the freezer beef thing, going well, but want to diversify and expand a little, just not sure what my best options are. All feeds are purchased as I do not have any land or big equipment of my own.

I would love to get into Cow/Calf but am unfortunately boxed in by a dairy paying top rates ($250+ an acre) and other farmers that are hesitant to give up any land at cheaper rates.

My mind goes to utilizing crop residue & potentially cover crops in some fashion? Anyone have any creative ideas for someone dead set on wanting cattle in an area like this?

Thanks!

Edited by ntorreyyy 2/14/2024 08:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)