AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reduced Rates of Fertilizer - In reference to Ron's posts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/28/2006 06:37 (#30526 - in reply to #30511)
Subject: RE: Reduced Rates of Fertilizer - theory-fact-doubt

Chebanse, IL.....

GTD

Thanks for thorough explanation. Seems to be based on a lot of theory. Can you link me to plot work by U of MN or Mr Rehm?

I'm not sure where facts/figures came from on 20-40% of b-cast spread was available to crop on 1st yr. But-I'll ask....why? Why only 20 (very little) to 40% (double the minimum)?

Does moisture availability & incorporation have anything to do with availability? Or-is it just a chemical change that must be undertaken to make it available?

Why is banded fertilizer 50-60% available (your statement)? Where/how did they establish these percentages?  I believe you're saying any crop removes a specific amount of nutrients regardless of tillage/fertilizer method. I believe other strip till/banding advocates that posted here seem to disagree with that fact, saying band-supplied crops have a lower removal rate.

Statements in posts below & links provided seem to say that banding w/1/2 rate works on lo-testing soils. So-on medium to hi-test soils could one assume for strip banding not using any fertilizer? I'd assume not. If you didn't use any replacement fertilizer, would you expect test values to hold or diminish...assuming average to above average crop removal (all rotation crops).

Are your tests showing no reduction in test values?

I still wonder if rates aren't being reduced in banding to accomodate bin capacities in dry applicators (or liquid) during strip tilling.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)