AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reduced Rates of Fertilizer - In reference to Ron's posts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 7/30/2006 13:39 (#31191 - in reply to #31152)
Subject: Re: Reduced Rates of Fertilizer - In reference to Ron's posts

Aberdeen MS
Then don't do it ron.

Take the rest of the benefits of the conservation program and put on a normal regular rate.

My future program will be 120 - 140 units of N, with about 35-40 units of P put into a triple zone within the band, 1/3 here >\_/< 1/3 here, concentrated at the bottom outside with a streamer nozzle. The remaining 1/3 will be applied right down the middle to be mixed within the band. The outsides will be around 4 - 5 inches deep. Way deeper than suface broadcasting and working in with a FC or equipment similar. Remember to get herbicides worked within the top 2" of the soil, we need to work the ground 4" deep. The "trench" will thoroughly mix it in about 25 - 30 sq inches. Nothing concentrated enough to burn seed but yet close enough to supply the growing seedling with the nutrients needed. Planting will be done 2 days minimum after stripping, so moisture will "tone down" any hot spots that may occur.

I feel confident enough in that set up, my entire corn crop will be the "experiment".

you should see enough of a savings should you try to strip some of your land to still have somewhere around 3-4 year 100% ROI on the equipment purchase. And conservation programs you can enroll in through the county soil and water will magnify the savings.

When growers talk about their individual systems, we have a tendency to list each and every savings/benefit that particular system offers and delivers, but I think in reality, very few really take a system all the way to the extreme limit. At least broad spectrum, we can't afford to put that many eggs into one basket so to speak.

It will be interesting at the results the U of MN comes up with in the next 3 years. They are devoting an entire program strictly to strip tilling. Kind of makes growing crops a bit exciting again knowing there are areas where input $$ can be shaved when we all thought we had already shaved off 3 layers of skin.

Not really how many bushels can one grow anymore but how many $$ can we increase the bottom line. I know I've already increased my bottom line by $5,000/600 Ac just on fuel savings this year already (that's since the combine pulled out of the field last fall), that's not projected but actual savings already done
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)