AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Reduced Rates of Fertilizer - In reference to Ron's posts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 7/29/2006 09:14 (#30854 - in reply to #30839)
Subject: Re: Reduced Rates of Fertilizer - In reference to Ron's posts

Aberdeen MS
I'll try ron,

1. In the majority of situations....yes.

2. I wouldn't go to the point of saying removal rates, I'll say broadcast/build rates for the 1/2 rate.. i'm too conservative to hang that far out on the limb. And yes, if you do absolutely nothing in addition to reduced rates 100% of the time, the soil will eventually be depleted under the levels you have now. But, I want to add, in theory, 4 out of 5 years band, then broadcast full rate, it is still cheaper than broadcasting 5 out of 5 years. Watch your soil tests (I'm assuming you are testing now).

3. What many do (and the U recommends) is add the need for beans to the need for corn and put both on at the same time for the corn crop. Beans can't handle "fresh" applied fertilizer like corn can.

4. IF, you do no testing, want a "one policy fits all year after year" for your nutrient needs for a long term plan, you will have junk for soil after 20-30 years "probably", maybe sooner. If you up your management level and monitor your soils, your med testing soils will still be med testing soils at a cheaper cost.

5. Google U of MN extension services, and spend a day or two of reading on fertility management, etc. There truly is that much info there under many different headings. Most of the studies are done control = no fert vs various rates, applications, etc. The control will be spelled out as to what was done and what the subsequent variations were and the results, along with various recommendations for different situations.

I can't give a one or two sentence answer for a plan or program for you Ill soils and your farming practises. Compare drainage, GDU's, soil types, etc from what's posted and to what you experience.

HTH
Bruce
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)