AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wedding Venues
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

twraska
Posted 3/30/2024 20:49 (#10687210 - in reply to #10686560)
Subject: RE: Wedding Venues

Wallis, TX
Fellers Ranch - 3/30/2024 11:00

I live near one, and the couple does a great job with it.

When they applied for their CUP, there was a ton of opposition. I went to a couple of the public meetings, and I'd say that for every one person in support, there were 15 against the idea.

If the City had the power to do so, the council would have voted it down . . . but the owners were able to show that the City could not legally say no. (It was a unique situation.) However, the City put all sorts of rules in the CUP that have created some challenges to the operators. They've worked through it now, and have expanded twice. Many of those same neighbors that originally opposed it supported modifications to the CUP to allow for the expansions.

Although it is in a somewhat rural area, it is in City limits. That is a huge benefit to them -- primarily with city water and sewer, while many of the other venues have to rely on port-a-potties.

In any event, it has been very well run, and they've been good neighbors.

For the close neighbors sake, some of the "rules" are probably pretty beneficial to have. Not so much with the current owners, but it very well could be sold to someone that is not so neighborly at some point.

If I were you, I'd think about ask that the CUP include the following:

1. Owner has reasonably restricted days and times of operation. If you are within earshot, having bands playing outdoors at 1:00 am is not good.

2. Owner required to give adjacent owners the schedule of events, especially outside ceremonies. This will avoid/minimize situations where you are running your equipment during the wedding . . . and manure application issues.

3. Owner carries adequate liability insurance.

4. Owner is required to confirm proof of dram shop insurance for any liquor providers.

5. Is overnight camping allowed? If so, I'd think of asking that it be restricting via the CUP, and possibly barring guests from bringing ATVs to the site.

6. Are fireworks allowed?

Regarding your #2 ‘rule’. Why should the existing neighbors have to limit, curtail or adjust their farming practices to appease others in a rural area?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)