AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how to exit a family farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 9/15/2010 06:52 (#1360159 - in reply to #1358519)
Subject: loctite ... Eric, drop me an email

West Union, Illinois

Eric,

First let me apologize.  My response was a bit harsh, especially with no more background than we have.  I suspect the responses you have gotten tell a lot about the history of the person responding.

While I am being forced to admit to myself I'm not a "young farmer" anymore, I suspect I have been in a situation similar to yours before.  I started out farming with my Dad, Grandfather, brother, and cousin.  I ended up leaving farming as my primary occupation for several years.  My cousin split off on his own, I bought out my brother who pursued another career, Dad and Grandfather are both gone, lost Dad to cancer a couple years ago. I am now farming and employing my son-in-law, hoping to find a way to bring him in as a partner instead of just an employee.

It was frustrating for quite a while until I figured something out.  I'd bring up this new idea ... only to hear how it wouldn't work.  Within 2 years Dad would have this new idea we should try.  Guess what?  For instance I came home from college talking about the guys I was working for (that can lead to another long story, but we'll let it slide for now) chisel plowed everything and didn't do any moldboard plowing.  "Nope, never work".  It wasn't very long until we were chisel plowing about half the farm.  I could give more examples if I thought about it a while.

I'm telling you all that so you understand when I say "Been there, done that" ... I probably have.

Anyway, I was going to drop you an email but you don't list an address.  Mine works, click the email button below and drop me a note.  I'd like to discuss your situation a little more but it probably should be more private than on here.

Mike SE IL

www.BumpusFarms.US

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)