AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how to exit a family farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

loctite
Posted 9/15/2010 22:09 (#1361076 - in reply to #1360775)
Subject: RE: how to exit a family farm

serena, il
I want to thank all of of you for your offerings. As for details, I'm 33, Dad is 61, and grandpa is 87. I bought grandad out at his asking and at his price six years ago, never thinking I would look back. The recent troubles I have commented about are purely about our farming practices. Grandad balks at everything my dad doesn't endorse, so it is an uphill battle for me to try and bring something new or unproven into scope. For instance, split N application; which started the fight the other evening. "Why should we split our N in the spring and then pay for AMS with our fall applied fertilizer." The begining of our talk was centered on what to do about residue in 2nd year corn and maybe chiseling our bean stubble ahead of our corn. The end of our talk contained alot of talk about my youth and inexperience which is what irritated me. I want to make VERY clear that there is no "bad guy" here. I respect my dad and grandpa for what they have done and what they have helped me do. I will admit that 50% of my initial post was kneejerk reaction, and 110% is total frustration,but I wanted to know how many of you have undertaken a thought process that I did. I think I should have posted two questions, and here they are. "What did you do to keep a family farm together." "What would you do to keep a family farm family?"
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)