AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how to exit a family farm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

david_m
Posted 9/25/2010 01:23 (#1373303 - in reply to #1358519)
Subject: RE: how to exit a family farm

little britain ontario
theres no easy answer, not a lot of info like the others say. can tell you from exeprience, i grew up working my butt off to help my dad, brother was never really a farmer, turned 18 dad gave me a rent bill, i moved on, didnt have the resources to start farming at that time, joined the army, and made what i could from life. still not farming on my own, work for someone else milking their cows and boarding my cows out to other farms until my wife and i can make the downpayment to buy our own place, and last i heard my dad gave everything to my non farming brother who wants to be a farmer but only monday to friday and no weekends. sometimes its not always easy and sometimes you have to swallow a lot of pride, but you also need to respect yourself and make your own way even if its not going to be the way you want. for me i dont regret they way things have gone, yeah maybe would have been easier to bite it and go along with dad and my brother, but then again would i have been happier? everything i have now i worked for, i earnt it all on my own, and maybe its taking a few years longer but i can take pride in that i am where i am becasue i worked for it and started out with nothing but the clothes in my bag and the old ford pickup i was driving.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)