AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn after corn,, getting rid of residue
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 8/22/2006 06:53 (#37864 - in reply to #37652)
Subject: Re: Corn after corn.....nitrogen?

Chebanse, IL.....

Boog-

We're conventional till also. We've got quite a number of acres of 2nd yr or more corn. We don't make quite as many trips as you however. But, we also apply our dry fert in the fall & chisel it in. I prefer the fertilizer to be under the dirt rather than on top.

But- re. your nitrogen statement. Have you actually seen more stalk decomposition from fall applied dry N? I guess I haven't-if it happens at all it's immeasurable to our eyes. None of the strip-tillers have mentioned this yet, but Jim Kinsella used (don't know about now) to blow on a few gallons of 28 in the fall to speed decomposition. I have no idea if it worked or not-he was satisfied with it though. Back in our nt days I tried a product after combining corn called Stubble Digester. You sprayed it on. I did test strips on quite a few acres. We could tell exactly NO difference. We felt it a waste of time also. I believe the product is still on the market.

I believe the answer to stalk decomposition may be knife rolls in the corn heads. We're asking for tougher stalks (= stay green & better standing) in the fall & we're getting them from the corn mfg.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)