AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn after corn,, getting rid of residue
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 8/23/2006 09:45 (#38128 - in reply to #38072)
Subject: Re: Corn after corn,, getting rid of residue

Aberdeen MS
I was taught that compaction from above goes down in a V shape pattern. With the same weight applied from above with different tire widths, the depth of the V is what is going to be affected. The wider tires will produce a shallower V than a narrower tire. The same amount of area will be effected, either in width or depth.

Now my German skull is a bit thick, and many times it takes quite a few blows to knock something into it, but I still haven't figured out how on the same tire a difference of air pressure is going to change the amount of compaction. Using Jim's example of 50,000#, it's still 50,000# whether on a tire aired up to 25 or to 10. The difference as I see it is the size of the foot print. Lower pressure will put more face in contact with the ground providing a larger surface area spreading out the downward force "a little bit" (using the same tire). The only thing I see changing is the width and depth of the compaction V.

Applying that to agronomics in the field, whether on the old row or inbetween, IMO, it is the CONTROL of compaction that is being accomplished. Put that V inbetween the "new" row and the roots have a better chance of going down. Saving tire wear and going on top of and planting into that area is detrimental IMO.

I'll grant in areas that do not get deep freezing vs for us up "here" where frost depth is normally 3+ feet deep each and every winter and in some years can reach down to 5 feet or better (water lines have to be dropped to 6' or better for trouble free winter use), addressing the compaction issue takes on a different light.

But for myself, I'll put the compaction that I do produce inbetween the rows I'm currently going to plant vs right on top of it.

As far as a cart goes, I don't have one, I have a hard enough time attempting to figure out how to keep the combine running in the field while I'm on the way to unload the truck. I did use one last year as a couple neighbors helped me out to finish up, we carted a 40 out the far end as trucks couldn't get in the field. The same path was used by the cart (about 350 - 400 bu a load) going through the near 40 and today, by looking across the field, I cannot find those rows in the bean crop.

To me, the question of where to drive in the fall gets answered by which is more important tire wear vs compaction "location". For myself it's location, tire's will wear regardless.

Just my views on it, nothing more.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)