AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn after corn,, getting rid of residue
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 8/22/2006 09:05 (#37901 - in reply to #37642)
Subject: Re: Corn after corn,, getting rid of residue

Aberdeen MS
It may be a fad... it may not be. 15 years ago, the DMI was just a fad as well. Time will tell. In the mean time tho Mike, I'll put my savings into the bank so that if and when, I'll have the $$ to buy newer and better equipment (but I'm figuring on being retired by that time). Side by side last year, stripping in mud (ask Pete K how muddy it was, he did the stripping), strip out did conventional by 1 bushel with 25% of the fuel, all other variables being equal.

But in all honesty, I'm planting into straight complete black dirt, much like the times of the 60's when 3 - 5 trips a spring was common. But only doing it in one pass.

I'm sure you have been checking and watching my fields done this spring, the beans were stripped in mud, planted into good dirt. A lot are watching, but so far no one has come up to me personally and chatted about it.

But if you want, ask the Bode's their opinion of what I'm doing, or ask Kevin Roiger.

I see the hardest thing for anyone to comprehend, strip till farming is a method of farming that is not in anyway comparable to farming as it is "known" here. Completely different. It starts at the combine the year previous, takes a different mind set on fertility placement, fertility management, hybred selection, herbicide use, just to name a few off the top of my head.

Everyone around here, bases success or failure of a variety, type of farming, you name it, based on bragging rights of yield from the combine. I base success or failure on what the bottom line on the spread sheet is at the end of the year. Yield is only one part.

Edited by Greywolf 8/22/2006 09:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)