AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn after corn,, getting rid of residue
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

4020dt
Posted 8/22/2006 23:08 (#38039 - in reply to #37621)
Subject: RE: Corn after corn,, getting rid of residue

NC IL I80@68
We have 300+- of continuos corn (30yrs) , try to plow under 1/3 of it , 10-12 in deep , each year , use a Sunflower 4311 disk ripper 12-14 in deep on the rest of it . Spread P&K in fall before tillage , no disking or shreadding stalks . Spring apply NH3 on plowed or chieseled ground . Rough ride sometimes . Use a Sunflower 5054 field cultivator with 5 bar spike harrow one pass ahead of planter . Planter , an older Kinze , has Yetter Residue Manager , the notill coulter and fingers , Kicks the clods and roots aside and plant 2-2 1/2 in deep . Has been working good for years . Doesn't look pretty sometimes but by this time of year can't tell the difference . An important thing is to have the disk blades sharp on the disk ripper , I have them sharpened each season costs around $90 and is well worth it . By the way I am using an old JD 643 corn head which we all know doesn't do much on chewing up stalks but it is a 1978 model and is still going . Did some checking last spring and came up with 1 1/4 gal/acre fuel for working ground and planting . That does not include NH3 fuel cost .
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)