AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Frustrated
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Moose333
Posted 3/20/2024 12:02 (#10672693 - in reply to #10672662)
Subject: RE: Frustrated

NW Wisconsin
I run about 150 tillable acres along with another 100-110 acres of pasture. So I think im pretty small lol. For me its been pretty simple. Farm the ground thats worth farming. Some smaller guys say well all the big guys dont want these 5-10 acre fields. Well guess what unless you farm it for free it isnt worth farming. Find the fields that are worth farming that you arent up against a million people against. It may not be pretty but a lot of big guys over look the good 15-20 acre fields that can really make money. Another one for me is dont spend money chasing the fancy stuff. I do the tillage. Cheap and easy to do. I dont own a planter because for 22$ an acre I would never be able to buy a planter for what my guy has that does it for me. Lastly livestock. Farming isnt just corn and soybeans. If your already running row crops additional livestock doesnt cost much. You got a tractor to feed them and can usually find hay equipment for cheap too. This winter I got 2 months of grazing for free on my corn stalks. Do I credit my row crop operation or my feed expense on the livestock side? 2$ a head a day at 60 days is 120$ per acre credit on that corn acre with minimal supplies. There are many other easy ways to lower your cost per bushel. Either reduce expenses or increase yield on that same $.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)