AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EV news from ICE companies
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 6/13/2023 22:27 (#10269705 - in reply to #10269209)
Subject: RE: EV news from ICE companies

MiradaAcres - 6/13/2023 16:13

Here I would take the shorter miles, same drive time, and save 5-8 gallons of fuel on the trip.  Or take the EV with a 260 mile range, plug it in when I got there, and then drove home.

Personally, I think an EV 1/2ton pickup would make a good run around truck for the farm. Run for parts, haul hay bales, etc would easily be attainable most days at a fraction of the cost of fuel in a pickup.   Take a road trip to KS for some parts jump in the truck with 68 gallons of diesel drive straight thru and be home without stopping for fuel.

Depends on the time of day and how tired I am.    If its dark or snowy/icy, I'm sticking to the interstates and 4 lanes rather than the less traveled 2 lane roads that are much more likely to have deer standing on the yellow line.   
Saving 5 gallons of gas would be a huge savings on a 500 mile trip, that would be over 20%.  The difference in miles between here and DSM taking interstate vs the shortest route is about 25 miles.   Savings are more like 1 gallon each way.   Mileage change isn't huge either way, slower speed helps on the 2 lanes but you have more stop/starts on the 2 lanes that eat up some of the speed savings.

Considering the EV to DSM, you're assuming that there is a public parking spot, with a charger plug in, that I can park and leave my vehicle unattended for 6-8 hours and come back to a fully charged vehicle that it hasn't been towed because someone got mad that it was in front of the charger all day.      Maybe those spots are out there but I doubt there's many of them that are where I need/want to park, maybe in the future every public parking spot will have a plug in.   Maybe it will even be "free".

Having the EV vehicles and ICE vehicles each for their specific tasks sounds great, until you consider the costs of having multiple high $ vehicles sitting around that you're paying interest, license and insurance on.    Maybe someday it will be cost feasible but that day isn't here yet, IMO.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)