AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

buying soybean seed by seed count or 50 lb.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 8/20/2006 19:06 (#37470 - in reply to #37453)
Subject: RE: buying soybean seed by seed count or 50 lb.

Chebanse, IL.....

DVR

You're right. That part of the math is easy. I also wonder why everyone keeps thinking the math part is hard? I sure don't. Who said they couldn't figure it out? Most can probably do it in their head. I've included the generic formula in my posts.

BUT-why we have to pay same per lb of beans w/only 2500 seeds vs the other customers (see above) that get the 3500/lb, bothers some folks. We all have to ask whether we're the good customers or there are better customers than ourselves. Or-do we want all the "good deal" seeds (=small) & let everyone else fend for themselves for leftovers? I really don't think everyone can get the small seeds, assuming they're sized accurately. Someone is going to be left out. I'll assume some dealer is going to say that some of his customers like the BIG seed (to me that would be less than 2500/#), but I'd say they're scarce down here. I'm sure most realize that the ACTUAL seed count/lb is NOT known until final cleaning. That could be in Jan-Feb-Apr, or later in extreme cases. That # that's printed in the sales book right now is just a WAG.

Ordering happens back on Oct for many (dealers would like it be earlier yet). Then when April gets here you find out they don't have proper lbs/vs size. Then you re-adjust the order that you thought was completed. Re-adjust often means re-adjust payment.

And I ask again-why is price increase blamed on this idea? Prices have been rising steeply in the last 10 yrs & this "by the seed" idea is just becoming reality. Blame somebody else's idea please.

Sell them by the seed & I don't care how they deliver them...but we do use them in bulk.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)