AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

buying soybean seed by seed count or 50 lb.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dave-ECIA
Posted 8/22/2006 10:10 (#37917 - in reply to #37786)
Subject: Re: buying soybean seed by seed count or 50 lb.

Ron, if I may step in here for a minute, there are several things I'm noticing.

First, you mention that you would like to order/purchase/whatever seed in October. I'm pretty sure that is the time frame that most of the beans have just been placed in the bin. It is unlikely that ANY seed company would have an accurate enough view of seed size to allow you to order 250 million seeds and deliver to you exactly that number for exactly that price.

Second, a pro-active seed dealer should be able to accomodate your request, within reason. As soon as seed starts hitting their floor, should be Nov/Dec, they can tell you exactly the seed count. At that time they should be able to balance your order of 250 million seeds with the number of units that it would take to fill the order. Price, well, let's just say that for most companies it's a VERY negotiable item. Another way to approach it would be to tell your seed dealer that you will not accept anything less than 2800/lb. If seed count is larger, the price will be adjusted to a 2800/lb equivalent. It's all negotiable. If they won't do it, find a dealer that will.

A third item that has just been brushed is the sampling size error. It's very likely that the seed count is just an estimate. If a seed company were to package seed by count, they are opening themselves up to another legal issue. I'm not sure of the varience, but with corn, if the bag says 80k, then there must be 80k, let's say +/- 1%. If soybeans were to be packaged that way sampling for size would be a much larger issue. Not saying it can't be done, just an additional step that seed companies may not want to do. It may also open the door to blending seed to get an average seed count.

Just some thoughts. Keep up the discussion, it's interesting to see all the different angles on the subject.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)