AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

buying soybean seed by seed count or 50 lb.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 8/21/2006 07:25 (#37588 - in reply to #37573)
Subject: RE: Would the seed company just offer it this way ?

West Union, Illinois

PeteMN -  Would the seed company that thinks this is such a needed idea just ... offer it this way and price it accordingly and also offer the current system ... especially when the seed companies have such a hard time delivering the right size corn seed that a person orders?

Actually it might raise costs because then there would be yet another inventory item to handle.  Sometimes reality surprises you.  I was talking with my seed supplier about bulk bean prices.  I figured handling in bulk was cheaper  He said when all the costs are figured in the most expensive method for handling seed was in bulk.  Least costly was the mini-bulk bags. True bulk ties up storage bins, separate ones for each variety and size if graded.  Unless the customer comes after it requires specialized delivery systems.  Mini-bulk just takes floor space and a forklift, and any old truck can deliver them.

Looking at your suggestion from a processor/supplier standpoint, it would be a logistical nightmare.  John Q Customer would want to buy big beans by seed count and small beans by weight.  it creates more inventory problems plus he'll be ticked off when they mess up ... and you know THAT would happen.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)