AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

buying soybean seed by seed count or 50 lb.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dave-ECIA
Posted 8/23/2006 10:02 (#38132 - in reply to #37991)
Subject: Re: buying soybean seed by seed count or 50 lb.

Your response reminds me of a quote I heard years ago. "The obscure we eventually see, the completely obvious it seems takes longer."

I've been around this board for years and know you have farmed for longer than I have, but thanks for the reminder sometimes I forget.

I'd like to hear your seed dealer friends opinion on this subject. I'm curious, do they agree with you or not??

Personally, I don't care if they price beans by the individual seed, 50lb unit, or lbs in bulk. It's all the same to me. For every year I take 2700/lb beans, I get 3600/lb beans another year. The companies are trying to package in 140k unit sizes, if my math is correct, that works out to 2800/lb. That is about 10% under what I'd say is the multi-year average seed size. Sounds like a (hidden) price increase to me. I don't want that, do you?

My dealer has beans on the warehouse floor in November, and has quite a few by the end of Dec. At that time, we can re-adjust the order to match acres/seed size, etc. The larger seed size lots are sorted to the back of the warehouse, and sends them back at the end of the season unless they are needed at the end.

The size of the beans would have a great deal to do with pricing. Unless I'm mistaken, seed companies grow and purchase seed beans by volume (bushels), but yet you are asking them to sell by count. Small seeded varieties would yield more 140kunits/bu than large seeded varieties. If we start pricing by seed count, the company would have to "hedge" on unit seed yield/bu and my gut tells me it would be in their favor.

Now, let's try to keep the discussion civil. We're having a discussion here, not trying to trade jabs. I was merely trying to point out some things that may have been overlooked in the discussion. If you took them as offensive, it wasn't my intention to make them sound that way.

Edited by Dave-ECIA 8/23/2006 10:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)