AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

School Kids - How many of you
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

RMT1
Posted 5/17/2010 13:30 (#1203297 - in reply to #1176964)
Subject: Re: School Kids - How many of you

To "iluvafarmer" I salute you for trying to fight them off... you are doing a good job at trying to defend what is clearly a passion for you.

A tidbit to ponder...As an educator I often spend a quarter (if not more) of what I make on supplies and items that assist me in teaching students. This is because the money that some claim to be pumped into schools is not going as far as they think. Can you think of any other profession where professionals have to spend their bring home pay on their job? The stuff I buy is to supply the classroom. That is why I personally do want more pay especially since I fund my own retirement. However in my state of Illinois they just passed a bill stating that I will have to stay in my job til 67 til I can retire....wow what every person in their 60s dreams of...to still be teaching small children. I hope I can keep up. Any 60 year olds out there think they can handle a classroom of 20 three & 4-year-olds...

In a world where children come from dual-income homes or single parent homes, parents are EXHAUSTED at the end of the day. And quite frankly I think they are too tired to parent their children. It is easier to let them do what they want, eat what they want, and watch what they want.. There really should be parenting classes offered to people who think they want to have kids. If they knew how much works goes into raising kids half of them wouldn't have them.

I do think that it is hard to expect more from teachers when there is so much emphasis on kids testing well. "Successful" schools are merely determined by if your school is middle class enough to pass the tests. Do a little reading on standardized testing that will really open our eyes... How we measure academic success is an injustice to our children. As adults three quarters of us couldn't pass those standardized test because they are asking kids to regurgitate information that has little to no fundamental basis on their life which makes it impossible for them to remember. (Brain research supports this fact) Do you know that testing companies keep their tests under lock and key... and that if the general public knew what they were using to determine if our kids were "smart" we would be pissed. Like most things in this world it is about money... and if testing companies keep us feeling like we aren't teaching our kids anything then we will keep throwing money their way.

As for behavior issues...have you ever seen interactions between kids trying to challenge authority. Christ, if you were in the kid's shoes you would call that adult an asshole too. I have seen more unpleasant behaviors out of adults demanding respect from children then children being disrespectful. To gain respect from children you have to be able to model those behaviors for children. Only then do they understand what respect looks like...

Lastly I am boldly going to offer my view on spanking. (I know this is going to get some fire...) I feel that only the weak of mind, the ones too lazy to out-smart children, are the ones that hit their kids. As an adult if you believe in spanking, and the child is not in a life and death situation, you are just showing your inability to think of a logical consequence for unacceptable behavior. Bottom line too lazy or too dumb.

Anyone want this soapbox? I am done with it now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)