AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

“The Impossible dream of replacing the convenience of fossil powered with EVs”
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 3/10/2024 19:03 (#10660422 - in reply to #10660370)
Subject: It’s an opinion piece by a physics/engineering viewpoint.

Look I don’t agree with everything he said.. but he does point out the challenges that lie ahead.

Yes I agree that EVs may have a role.. 40 mile commute.. overnight charging.. makes sense up till capacity constraints.

But is this a path to reduce fossil fuels consumption?  No.. it will increase.. unless the economy crashes.  And why do this anyway?  The amount of minerals needed in the VOLUMES necessary.. heck fossil fuels are more plentiful.  We can produce that domestically.. we’re the worlds #1 Petroleum and natural Gas producer.. we’re even exporting Crude.. and bailed Europe out with Natty when Putin invaded Ukraine.

Yet Energy use is higher today than before Covid.. even with EVs.

This guy attacks ethanol.. obviously I don’t agree with that.  

here’s the next clip I’ve been watching..

https://www.realclearenergy.org/video/2024/02/22/rupert_darwall_the_wheels_are_coming_off_net_zero_1013734.html

We in Agriculture have a good story to tell.  We produce food and energy.. and they complement each other.  Ethanol isn’t carcinogenic like the other octanes.  And it extends our liquid fuels supplies..  I’ve posted how thermal batteries may help bridge the intermittency divide.. but.. they are small.. relative to the needs. 

investment in renewables is lowering our output per unit invested.. so we need to be careful.. cleaner air, less cancer..and a greater domestic reliance may be worthwhile.. to a point.

Since the first wind turbines.. we are using more fossil fuels.. not less.

ESG.. may have some hang ups.  However as fossil fuel prices continue to increase.. especially as we mine the world for more critical metals.. it’s gonna get bumpy..

throw in unrest in trade.. China goes into Tiawan.. Putin finishes off Ukraine.. Things will get real bumpy.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)